Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bargain Books

After a much needed trip to Whole Foods, mi hermano and I visited Half Price Books a few blocks away from my apartment.  As a frequent flyer I browsed through the “Super Buys” once I walked in the store and there were quite a few treasures to be found.  While my brother walked away with a two dollar paperback copy of The Shack per my urging, I snagged a dollar copy of Cold Mountain, both of which I intend on adding to my list of “Books I Want to Read.” After much internal debate I also took away a six dollar copy of Girl with a Pearl Earring.  I left Half Priced feeling fairly accomplished, after all making decisions isn’t my forte.  Feeling empowered, my brother and I went out for dinner and then to Elliott Bay books to return some ridiculous purchases he made a few weeks ago with a gift card from our mother.  We put the money from the return towards two books I have been admiring for months.  As I mentioned before making decisions is not my strong suit, so literally since this past summer I have been perusing every which bookstore looking at the same two novels yet never mounting the courage to actually purchase them.  My new idiosyncrasy is to wander through the bookshelves admiring the cover art, reading the synopsis on the back, and carrying the books I’m interested in throughout the store.  As I go to check-out/leave I put the books back on the shelf and walk away with nothing.  It’s a problem.  My purchases yesterday marked a big step for me.  Admittedly my two purchases at Elliott Bay were at my brother’s expense, I did cover the difference in price though!  However, I can now proudly say I share partial custody of Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and Jonathan Tropper’s This is Where I Leave You.  I am thoroughly excited to read these gems and then recommend them to others.  Now I’m off to crawl under my covers and begin new adventures in Water for Elephants.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachelle!! Is it weird I just blog-stalked you? :) Love the layout (books are awesome)! Check out goodreads.com... you might fall in love. Feel free to blog-stalk me! http://inspired-days.blogspot.com/

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete