Wednesday, March 30, 2011

This Is Where I Leave You


Somewhere in between sleeping in til noon, watching new GLEE episodes, going out for coffee dates, doing dishes, eating B& O desserts, shopping for cosmetics, drinking multiple beers on Saint Patrick’s Day, singing “Landslide” while making new friends at the infamous Crescent Lounge, and finally getting back to work I managed to finish yet another book from my to do list.  Over the span of two night shifts I finished Jonathan Tropper's New York Times Bestseller This Is Where I Leave You.  No stranger to the interworkings of a dysfunctional family, I instantly fell in love with the dynamic between all of Tropper's characters who, in his hilarious novel, all come together to sit Shiva after their fathers passing.  Over the span of seven days of mourning Tropper creatively weaves themes of self reflection, love, loss, and forgiveness through what may be the funniest book I have ever read.  The prose and characters of This is Where I Leave You are a true joy.  As I read this book I not only found myself laughing out loud, but my mind and heart also contemplated how I wish to be remembered and how I hope to remember my loved ones.  I recommend this book to readers of all shapes and sizes!

3 comments: