Sunday, March 13, 2011

To Blog or Not to Blog

Last summer I attempted to create my first blog:  this post serves as proof to its failure.  As I designed my very own personal online confessional, what I ridiculed my friends for creating actually began to feel therapeutic.  After submitting two entries I felt the sudden impulse to share with loved ones my contribution to the online phenomenon of our generation referred to as blogging.  Considering my blog to be stooping to a new low (one in which I have added to an ongoing list of shame), I only shared my entries with a few individuals, one being my life’s most honest critic:  Jordan King.  In his usual tone of tough love, he asked me, “What’s the point?”  He pointed out that usually people create blogs when they embark on a new journey in their lives and thus use the internet as a medium to share their adventures; for example, running, studying abroad, getting married, traveling, starting a family, cooking, you name it.  What was the purpose of creating my blog, to share with others the mundane contents of my post graduate life?  Embarrassing enough, that is exactly what I felt compelled to do. 
            After Jordan so kindly put me in my place I decided to research what it means to blog/be a blogger if that is in fact what I had turned myself into.  I reached out to my trusted source urbandictionary.com to shed some light on this new topic I so recently decided to become acquainted with.  Apparently to blog is to create a blatantly dull online diary that captures the narcissism of an individual while maintaining the illusion that others actually care about his/her uneventful life.  Bent on not perpetuating myself and as one of those said individuals I deleted my existing “blog” and banned the idea from my mind.  Yet here I am again attempting to make sense of this fad:  blogging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment